Sunday, February 18, 2018

Text Size: A A Print This Page


JHSC Certification TrainingPayment Options l General Course Inquiries

Joint Health and Safety Committee Certification Training

The Ministry of Labour (MOL) Basic Certification Training Program is a two-part process that consists of this Basic Certification Training - Part I and additional Workplace Specific Hazard Training - Part II. After successfully completing the Health & Safety Professionals Inc. (HSPI) Basic Certification Program - Part I and the MOL evaluation, participants will be part-way through the process.

Who has to be certified?
A workplace that regularly employs 20 or more workers must have at least two certified members; one from management and one chosen by the workers or union. In a workplace where a designated substance applies, there must also be two certified members. Workers on a construction project that is going to last three months or longer, and employs 50 or more workers must also have two certified members. These certified members will sit on the Joint Health and Safety Committee.
How do I get certified?
The MOL has a list of approved providers for Basic Certification Training. All of the providers must submit their program to the MOL for approval prior to becoming an approved provider. Health & Safety Professionals Inc. delivers a three-day classroom based course, which is approved by MOL. At the completion of our course, an evaluation will be administered. This evaluation must be returned to the Instructor, who will then mark the evaluation. Upon successful completion, Health & Safety Professionals will notify the MOL.
What is the difference between Part I and Part II Basic Certification training?
Part I is generic training and is applicable to all workplaces and sectors. The main topics included in the course are: legislation as it applies to the Certified Member, the Joint Health and Safety Committee, and how to Recognize, Assess, Control, and Evaluate Hazard Controls. Part II training is meant to be specific to the needs of each individual workplace. The employer is expected to determine the training needs based on a hazard assessment of the workplace. This may be done with the Certified Members who have a very good understanding of how to assess hazards.
Which Part II Workplace Specific Hazard Training courses should I take?
You will need to take the courses that correspond with the significant hazards which your employer has identified in your workplace. You will need to take a minimum of six courses. Those courses are offered over two days. HSPI offers nine courses (three days) and you are more than welcome to join us for all three days.
How long after Part I do I need to take Part II?
You need to take Part II training within six months of completing Part I training. Under extenuating circumstances you may be granted one extension.
What does the word “significant” mean?
You will need to consider whether the hazard has contributed to a workplace injury or illness or has the potential to do so. How serious have the injuries or illnesses been, or how serious could they be, if the workers are exposed? Have you had near misses, in other words, an incident that could have resulted in an injury had the circumstances been slightly different. How many of the workers in your workplace are exposed to the hazard?

How do I assess the significant hazards in my workplace?
You will need to examine various aspects of your workplace. Review job descriptions and look at what hazards to which the workers are exposed. Review the workplace inspections. What issues have come up in the past? What are the consequences associated with your hazards? Review your Material Safety Data Sheets, your WSIB statistics, your First Aid records, the minutes of your Joint Health and Safety Committee meetings, general observations, and concerns expressed by the workers. Review the list with your Joint Health and Safety Committee, and get their input. After this review, you will have an understanding of the hazards in your workplace.
Do both Certified Members need to take the same Part II courses?
Since the employer, in consultation with the Joint Health and Safety Committee, has determined the hazards in the workplace, we recommend that both certified members take the same Part II courses.
Where do I take Part II - Workplace Specific Hazard Training?
There are many providers of workplace specific hazard training. Once the specific hazards in your workplace have been identified, visit our website at to review available training. 
What do I do after I’ve taken Part II courses?
After completion of Part II -Workplace Specific Hazard Training, HSPI sends the necessary paperwork to the Ministry of Labour. The MOL will issue you a certification card.
What are refresher courses?
Within three years of becoming certified, and every three years thereafter, you must complete a one-day refresher course. This course is to be delivered by an approved provider. You may apply to the MOL for a one-time exemption.

Payment Options <top>

What method of payment do you accept?

We accept business cheques, cash, Visa or MasterCard. Make cheques or money orders payable to Health & Safety Professionals Inc. Please call our office (705-945-0117 or 1-877-945-0117) Monday to Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Eastern Standard Time.

We require payment or purchase order numbers prior to the commencement of the course. Special arrangements can be made in certain circumstances.

General Course Inquiries <top>

Is your training centre barrier free?

No. There is a set of four stairs entering the building. One washroom is wheelchair accessible. Please phone us to discuss your needs. We will be as flexible as possible, including providing the training at your place of employment.

If I can’t attend, can someone go in my place?

Yes. We prefer to be notified in advance, but we recognize that this is not always possible.

If I can’t attend the course I’ve signed up for, can I move my registration to the next available date?

Yes, you can do so, at no extra charge. Please give us one week's notice.

What happens if I sign up for a course, and then cancel?

You will be charged a $50.00 administration fee.

Will I be charged if I don’t show up to a course?

Yes. "No-shows" are charged the full fee. Extenuating circumstances will be considered.

How often are courses scheduled?

We schedule Basic Certification Part I approximately every six weeks, from September to June. Most other courses are offered two to three times per year. We can schedule courses at your convenience for groups of 10 or more.