Joint Health and Safety Committee Part One
JHSC Certification Part One covers the first part of Basic Certification Training required for you to become a certified member of a workplace Joint Health and Safety Committee (JHSC). Combined with JHSC Certification Part Two, it leads to certification under Ministry of Labour, Immigration, Training and Skills Development (MLITSD) standards. Our course is applicable to all sectors.
You must complete JHSC Part Two training within one year of completing JHSC Part One. There are no exceptions.
Health and Safety Professionals Inc. is an Ontario Chief Prevention Office (CPO) approved training provider for the JHSC Certification training program.
Who should take JHSC Part One Training?
- JHSC Part One training is generic to all workplaces irrespective of their sector.
- Workplaces that regularly employ 20 or more employees at any given time must have at least two certified members on their Joint Health and Safety Committee; one from management and one chosen by the workers or union.
- Any worker including members of JHSC, supervisors, managers and other workplace parties who wish to increase their health and safety knowledge, regardless of any previous experience.
What topics will be covered?
- Certification training and importance of OHS
- Health and Safety Law and the Legislation
- JHSCs and Certified Members
- JHSC Roles and Responsibilities
- Workplace Inspections
- Hazard Management Assessments
- Incident Investigation
- Research and Resources
You will receive the following material when taking JHSC Part One training.
- JHSC Part One participant workbook
- HSPI’s exclusive OHSA Reference Guide
- OHS Act and Regulations pocketbook (Green book), and a
- Digital copy of a certificate of completion upon successfully completing the training. We send your training records to SkillsPass.
- The instructor actively engages the learners by using Breakout rooms, workbook exercises, and case studies.
- You must take a final evaluation on the third and final day of training.
- You must successfully achieve a passing grade of 75% or more to get a certificate. Your next step is JHSC Part Two training.
- Our Training coordinator and IT team will be available during the training for support throughout the course.
- You will need a computer with a camera and microphone, and internet connection to participate in the training. We recommend the use of a computer or laptop for a better experience.
- The course will be delivered using Zoom. Use the test link to make sure you can access Zoom on your device.
- To access digital training material and the final evaluation, you must login into BIS Trainer during the course.