Health and Safety Representative Basic Training
Duration: One day
Price: $25.00 plus HST
The role of Health and Safety Representatives (HSRs) is to support health and safety in the workplace.
HSPI has partnered with the Ministry of Labour, Immigration, Training and Skills Development (MLITSD) and Ontario’s Safety Partners to deliver this eLearning course.
Get reimbursed for training under Ontario’s Small Business Health and Safety Training Program.
Who should take HSR Basic Training eLearning?
Health and Safety Representatives are required under the Occupational Health and Safety Act:
- at a workplace that regularly employs 6-19 workers
- at a construction project that employs 6-19 workers and is expected to last more than three months
- at a construction site that employs more than 5 workers and where work will be completed in under three months
- in a farming operation which regularly exceeds 5 workers and no JHSC is required
This eLearning course is useful for workplaces in Ontario that are required to have an HSR, regardless of the sector.
What topics will be covered?
- Occupational health and safety law
- Rights, duties and responsibilities of the workplace parties
- Duties and responsibilities of the HSR under the OHSA
- Common workplace hazards
- Hazard recognition, assessment, control, and evaluation (RACE methodology) of hazard controls
- Applying RACE methodology (recognize, assess, control and evaluate) to a workplace hazard
- Health and safety resources available to the workplace parties
- Must have access to a computer, laptop, or tablet
- Must have a reliable internet/WIFI connection
- Google Chrome is the recommended browser
- Must have your own login credentials to HSPI’s LMS (BIS Trainer)
Small Business Health and Safety Training Program
Eligible small business can apply for reimbursement under Ontario’s Small Business Health and Safety Training Program. The program will reimburse eligible employers for the $25 registration fee and $150 for the representative’s training time; i.e. $175 in total.
To be eligible for Ontario’s Small Business Health and Safety Training program, small businesses must;
- regularly employ 6–19 workers in an Ontario workplace or be required to have an HSR in other circumstances
- have a Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) number
- have an appointed HSR complete the training from a participating training provider before March 31, 2024
- keep a copy of the HSR Basic Training certificate of completion
For the purpose of processing and validating an application for reimbursement under the Small Business Health & Safety Training Program, the name of the individual taking the Health and Safety Representative (HSR) Basic Training and their email will be disclosed to the Ministry of Labour, Immigration, Training and Skills Development.
By proceeding with purchasing or registering for this course, you hereby consent to the collection and processing of information, as applicable, by the Ministry and its third-party service providers for the purpose set out above.
Any questions about the collection, use, and disclosure of personal information for Small Business Health and Safety Training Program can be directed to the Training and Awareness Branch, Prevention Division, Ministry of Labour, Immigration, Training and Skills Development by email at PreventionFeedback@ontario.ca or by phone at 1-416-212-9871.