Joint Health and Safety Committee Certification Training

Certification Training is a two-part process that consists of Basic Certification Training - Part I and additional Workplace Specific Hazard Training - Part II. After successfully completing the Health & Safety Professionals Inc. (HSPI) Basic Certification Program - Part I and the final evaluation, participants will be part-way through the process.

Who has to be certified?

A workplace that regularly employs 20 or more workers must have at least two certified members; one from management and one chosen by the workers or union. In a workplace where a designated substance applies, there must also be two certified members. Workers on a construction project that is going to last three months or longer, and employs 50 or more workers must also have two certified members. These certified members will sit on the Joint Health and Safety Committee.

How do I get certified?

A list of approved providers for Basic Certification Training can be found on the MLTSD website. All of the providers must submit their program for approval prior to becoming an approved provider. Health & Safety Professionals Inc. delivers a three-day classroom-based and virtual course, which is approved by Chief Prevention Officer. At the completion of our course, an evaluation will be administered. This evaluation must be returned to the instructor, who will then mark the evaluation. Upon successful completion, Health & Safety Professionals files the necessary paperwork. In our distance learning course, the participants can complete their courses from their computers.  

What is the difference between Part I and Part II Basic Certification training?

Part I is generic training and is applicable to all workplaces and sectors. The main topics included in the course are legislation as it applies to the Certified Member, the Joint Health and Safety Committee, and how to Recognize, Assess, Control, and Evaluate Hazard Controls. Part II training is meant to be specific to the needs of each individual workplace. The employer is expected to determine the training needs based on a hazard assessment of the workplace. This may be done with the Certified Members who have a very good understanding of how to assess hazards.

Which Part II Workplace Specific Hazard Training courses should I take?

You will need to take the courses that correspond to the significant hazards which your employer has identified in your workplace. You will need to take a minimum of six courses, or two days of training.  

How long after Part I do I need to take Part II? 

You need to take Part II training within one year of completing Part I training. There are no exceptions. 

Do I need to provide HSPI with proof of my Part I training?

If you took your Part I training with us, we will have your name in our database. If you took Part I training with another approved provider, you will need to show us proof of Part I training before you can register for our Part II courses.

What does the word “significant” mean?

You will need to consider whether the hazard has contributed to a workplace injury or illness or has the potential to do so. How serious have the injuries or illnesses been, or how serious could they be, if the workers are exposed? Have you had near misses, in other words, an incident that could have resulted in an injury had the circumstances been slightly different? How many of the workers in your workplace are exposed to the hazard?

How do I assess the significant hazards in my workplace?

You will need to examine various aspects of your workplace. Review job descriptions and look at what hazards to which the workers are exposed. Review the workplace inspections. What issues have come up in the past? What are the consequences associated with your hazards? Review your Material Safety Data Sheets, your WSIB statistics, your First Aid records, the minutes of your Joint Health and Safety Committee meetings, general observations, and concerns expressed by the workers. Review the list with your Joint Health and Safety Committee, and get their input. After this review, you will have an understanding of the hazards in your workplace.

What if I only have Part I training under the old standards?

Your Part I training does not expire, but you are not yet a certified member of the JHSC. You can take Part II training whenever you wish, and will then be required to take Refresher training every three years. 

Do both Certified Members need to take the same Part II courses?

Since the employer, in consultation with the Joint Health and Safety Committee, has determined the hazards in the workplace, we recommend that both certified members take the same Part II courses.

Where do I take Part II - Workplace Specific Hazard Training?

There are many providers of workplace specific hazard training. Once the specific hazards in your workplace have been identified, visit our website at www.hspinc.ca to review available training. 

Where do I take Part II - Workplace Specific Hazard Training? 

In order to meet the needs of our customers, HSPI delivers JHSC Training Part II in a unique way. When you sign up for our training, you will see that you have several options: Day One and Two; Day Two and Three; Days One, Two and Three; and Day One and Three. We have set it up this way so that you can choose to participate in two (or three) days that best suit the hazards identified in your workplace. If you have any questions, please email us info@hspinc.ca 

Day One - Confined Spaces in the Workplace, Machine Hazards in the Workplace, Heat Stress and Cold Stress in the Workplace 

Day Two - Driving Hazards in the Workplace, Slips, Trips and Falls in the Workplace, Biological and Chemical Hazards in the Workplace 

Day Three - Prevention of Musculoskeletal Disorders, Violence and Harassment in the Workplace, Stress and Mental Health in the Workplace 

What are refresher courses?

Within three years of becoming certified, and every three years thereafter, you must complete a one-day refresher course. This course is to be delivered by an approved provider. A certified member may request a one-time exemption from Refresher Training if he or she is an active member (i.e., engaged as a member of the workplace JHSC within the past twelve months).

What is your process for your online distance learning training? 

You can register online now. You choose the courses and 

Payment Options

What method of payment do you accept?

We accept business cheques, cash, Visa or MasterCard. Make cheques or money orders payable to Health & Safety Professionals Inc. Please call our office (Tel 705.254.3752
Toll Free 877.254.3752) Monday to Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Eastern Standard Time.

We require payment or purchase order numbers prior to the commencement of the course. Special arrangements can be made in certain circumstances.

General Course Inquiries

Is your training centre barrier free?

No. There is a set of four stairs entering the building. One washroom is wheelchair accessible. Please phone us to discuss your needs. We will be as flexible as possible, including providing the training at your place of employment.

If I can’t attend, can someone go in my place?

Yes. We prefer to be notified in advance, but we recognize that this is not always possible.

If I can’t attend the course I’ve signed up for, can I move my registration to the next available date?

Yes, you can do so, at no extra charge. Please give us one week's notice.

What happens if I sign up for a course, and then cancel?

You will be charged a $100.00 processing fee. Less than ten days' notice will result in a full charge for the course. There is no refund once materials are paid for and shipped to you.  

Do you offer any discounts? 

Yes, we offer bundle pricing if you purchase and pay for Part I and Part II at the same time. You must register for your Part II course within one year. Once we ship your books, there are no refunds on bundle pricing. 

Will I be charged if I don’t show up for a course?

Yes. "No-shows" are charged the full fee. Extenuating circumstances will be considered.