De-Escalation is a half-day course designed for anyone who works with or supports members of the public. You may use de-escalation techniques with your co-workers.
You will learn how to manage stressful and sometimes tense situations in your workplace. You will learn about the assault cycle and how to assess where your encounter is, in that cycle. You will learn how the body responds to stressful situations, including yours, and apply what you know to decrease the possibility of an escalated situation at work. Through group work, participants will apply their knowledge.
This course can be customized to your workplace, using your own scenarios and situations.
What topics will be covered?
- Recognizing Signs of Anxiety and Agitation
- The Assault Cycle (Hallet, N. 2017)
- Corporate Interventions
- The Brain and Anger
- De-Escalation Techniques
- Practice Opportunities
You will receive the following material when taking De-Escalation training
- Fillable PDF workbook that you can choose to print, of fill in electronically.
- Links to HSPI’s favourite online resources.
- Our Training coordinator and IT team will be available during the training for support throughout the course.
- You will need a computer with a camera and microphone, and internet connection to attend the training. We recommend the use of a computer or laptop for a better experience.
- The course will be delivered using Zoom. Use the test link to make sure you can access Zoom on your device.
- To access digital training material and the final evaluation, you must login into BIS Trainer during the course.